If you read my last post for my Chai Spiced Scones then you know how much I have fallen in love with Bhakti Chai Tea after a recent visit to Colorado. I’m pretty sure I cannot get enough of this drink but wait it gets better! I saw that there was an amazing contest going around on Instagram to win a year supply of Bhakti Chai Tea through the wonderful Instagram account @CravingThirty. All you have to do is create a recipe using Bhakti Chai Tea. Now there is something to be said about coincidences…not only had I been working on my Chai Spiced Scone recipe but I also discovered that my local Earth Fare Store sells some of the Bhakti Chai Tea collection!! So I got right on the challenge and decided to not only replace the Almond Milk in my Chai Spiced Scone recipe, but I would also make these scones vegan. I hope you all enjoy this alternative recipe it’s seriously just as good as the original if not better!
Vegan Bhakti Chai Spiced Scones with White Chocolate and Almonds
- 1 cup whole grain pastry flour
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- dash of nutmeg
- 8 tbsp cold vegan butter replacement (earth balance) or 1/2 cup of coconut oil (solid form). Currently because of the warmer temps my coconut oil is completely melted in my pantry. If that’s the case for you then pour a 1/2 cup in a bowl in place in the fridge until solid.
- (1) 3.5 oz of white chocolate chopped (I love using Green & Black’s Organic White Chocolate) or 1/2 cup of white chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup of chopped almonds
- 2/3 cup + 1-2 tbsp of Iced Bhakti Chai Tea
- 1 flax seed egg replacer (1 tbsp organic ground flax seed + 3 tbsp water)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg in a medium size bowl.
- Cut butter or cold coconut oil into small cubes and add to dry ingredients. Next you want to cut your butter/oil into your flour mixture by either taking a fork or two knives and incorporating the butter into the flour until it’s a sand like consistency (I usually have some bigger chunks of butter/oil remaining in my flour and it’s definitely not going to ruin your scones if you do).
- Fold in the white chocolate and almonds.
- In a small bowl make your flax seed egg replacer by combining 1 tbsp of organic ground flax seed and 3 tbsp of water. Let this mixture sit for 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix Iced Bhakti Chai Tea, flax seed egg replacer, vanilla, and sugar.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until incorporated.
- Turn out dough onto your baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Shape dough into a large circle with about a 1/2 an inch thickness. Cut your dough into 8 triangles but keep them together in their circle. By keeping your scones together they will puff up nicely (see photos below for reference).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden on the edges. I usually take mine out after 19 minutes with my oven.
- Allow time to cool and enjoy.
I love Green & Black’s Organic White Chocolate in this recipe along with the Iced Bhakti Chai Tea – it’s perfect!
Right out of the oven – recut along your “pie slices” and allow to cool!
The perfect breakfast combo!