You can call this a rustic apple pie, a tart, or a galette. I mean it doesn’t really matter what name you give it because it’s absolutely delicious! The crust pretty much steals the show here, it’s buttery, flaky, and melts in your mouth. I would like to make a distinction here with this recipe, I used a lot of butter with this crust but I used ORGANIC UNSALTED BUTTER. Yes, butter is high in cholesterol, which means it’s probably not the best ingredient if you’re trying to cut that out of your diet because of doctor’s orders. However, I strongly believe that real ingredients are always the healthier option over fake ones like margarine, canola oils, vegetable oils, etc. Canola/Vegetable Oils are highly processed and the production/extraction process uses tons of toxic chemicals that are in no way healthy. The Food Industry in this country does a great job at marketing products and food items to appear healthy, but don’t trust them. All “they” care about is making as much money as possible no matter if it’s at the cost of your health and well being. Don’t believe me, here is an interesting article that includes a short clip of how Canola Oil is made – Click Here
That chemical extraction process looks tasty doesn’t it!? And then the cleaning process, wow even tastier! If this doesn’t make you think twice about eating any foods that have vegetable oil, soybean oil, margarine, canola oil as an ingredient I don’t know what will. So do yourself a favor and eat REAL butter, in moderation of course. Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil and Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil are great alternatives to butter to use in your baking as well as they’re actually good for you!
Alright I could talk about this for days, but I’d rather share this awesome recipe. Hope you all enjoy!
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp of cold unsalted butter (1 stick) cut into small cubes
- 1-1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 4 apples of your choice
- honey to drizzle
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place flour, sugar, salt, and butter in a food processor. Pulse for 5 seconds. Add cold water to flour mixture and pulse again until the dough just begins to come together. It will form a ball in your food processor. Set dough aside.
- Peel apples and set aside two of your apples to chop for your filling. Take the other two apples and slice crosswise about a 1/4 of an inch thick. Chop the other two apples into small cubes.
- Flour your work surface and roll out your dough into a large rectangle about 12″ x 14″
- Placed chopped apples on base of rolled out dough. Leaving a 1″ border of dough.
- Drizzle honey over top of chopped apples.
- Arrange apple slices over chopped apples.
- In a small bowl mix together sugar and cinnamon for topping and sprinkling over your arranged sliced apples.
- Fold the edge of your pastry dough up and over the sliced apples, creating a nice border. Take your cubed tablespoon of butter and place randomly on top of your galette.
- Bake for 1 hr or until crust is golden and apples are nice a tender.
- Allow time to cool and enjoy!
Pastry dough ball.
You don’t have to roll your dough into a perfect rectangle. This is supposed to look rustic.