I would like to thank my beautiful friend, Majda for the inspiration to create this recipe. I thought I would put my spin on a healthy Caramel Apple Cupcake that might just be the perfect birthday treat or the perfect sweet treat after a long day. Hope you all enjoy!
Date Caramel Apple Cupcakes
Ingredients for Apple Cupcakes:
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (cold/solid)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2-3 apples
Ingredients for Date Caramel:
- 16 dates
- 3/4 milk of your choice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Place your dates in warm water to soak for 30min.
- In a stand mixer, cream your sugar, oil, and salt. Let mix for several minutes then add vanilla and eggs.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add flour mixture to wet ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Don’t over mix.
- Chop apples into small cubes or grate (all about personal preference here).
- Add the apples to your cupcake mixture and mix to combine.
- Place cupcake liners in a muffin tin and pour cupcake batter in prepared liners, about 3/4 the way up the liner.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in cupcake comes out clean.
- Drain dates and place in food processor. Blend until dates become a paste.
- Add milk and vanilla. Pulse until your caramel sauce turns into the consistency you like. You can add more milk if you would like it to be thinner.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, you can hollow out the center of each cupcake and fill with your date caramel sauce and pipe a buttercream frosting over top (I used this recipe, here), which is what I did. If you would like to make this healthier then omit the buttercream and instead of filling your cupcake with caramel, drizzle it over top of each cupcake. Enjoy.