I think it’s safe to say that I pretty much lived off of a variation of these muffins while I was in college. I dedicate this recipe to one of my best friends and old college roommate, Gina who reminded me of these muffins and our slight addiction to them. To be fair, our University dining hall was absolutely horrible and the muffins were just about the only edible/good thing to eat. Whenever the muffins were put out we would hoard at least a dozen between the two of us.
Here is my healthier version of a muffin perfect for this time of year – they’re tart, sweet, moist, fluffy, and oh so delicious. I absolutely loved using fresh cranberries in a muffin recipe for a change. I hope you enjoy!
Cranberry Pecan White Chocolate Muffins
- 1/4 cup of butter softened
- 1/4 unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/4 cups fresh cranberries
- Preheat oven to 35o F.
- Place muffin liners in your muffin tray.
- In a mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter, applesauce, honey, and sugar. *Since you’re using applesauce here it won’t “cream” together in the traditional sense, but you want to make sure it’s all incorporated.
- Add eggs, yogurt, milk, and vanilla to butter/sugar mixture until just combined.
- In a separate bowl combine AP flour, spelt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- Add flour mixture to wet ingredients until just combined – you do not want to over mix this or your muffins will be dense.
- Mix in the chocolate chips, pecans and cranberries.
- Scoop out approximately a 1/3 of a cup into your prepared muffin tray.
- Bake for 18-20 mins or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.