Do you like Nutella? Then make this, right now! It’s such a simple, easy recipe, and the end result is so perfect. Not only do you get the rich hazelnut flavor that makes Nutella amazing, it’s also healthy and a great alternative to the Nutella brand.
I made my spread with a little texture, which added the perfect crunch to every bite. I love Nutella so much and for the most part the brand Nutella doesn’t have the worst ingredients possible, but there are 2 ingredients that I specifically question and would rather not consume if I can help it, those are Palm Oil and Vanillin. Both of these ingredients are questionable in my book. You can find a couple of interesting articles from this time last year that shed some light on the Palm Oil industry here and here. Then there is Vanillin, which is not the same as Vanilla, Vanillin is a byproduct of the pulp and wood industry – doesn’t that sound yummy. You can read more about it here and here. When it comes down to it, this homemade Nutella only has 5 ingredients, all of which are good for you.
- 2 cups raw hazelnuts
- 1-1/2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 unsweetened cocoa powder or raw cacao powder
- 6 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup almond or soy milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the raw hazelnuts on top.
- Toast the hazelnuts for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- Remove the skin of the hazelnuts using a kitchen towel or paper towel.
- Using your food processor or blender, blend the hazelnuts to your desired consistency.
- Next, add in the remaining ingredients to your blender or food processor.
- Blend until you’re happy with what you have. Of course, feel free to taste test at this point.
- If you would like your Nutella to be smoother, add one teaspoon of coconut oil and blend some more.
How do you like to eat your nutella? I love mine with strawberries, bananas, and raspberries. Of course if you want to take your Nutella a step further you can make some super yummy, low sugar, Nutella brownies.
- 1 cup homemade Nutella
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of almond flour
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray an 8 x 8 with nonstick spray or coconut oil spray.
- Using a stand mixer, mix eggs together starting at a low speed and increasing to medium-high. Whisk until the eggs are a light yellow color (about 6-8 minutes).
- Warm your homemade Nutella slightly and add a little bit at a time to the beaten eggs.
- Add almond flour and incorporate all the ingredients.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, check doneness by placing a toothpick through the center of the brownies. If the toothpick comes out clean then take the brownies out of the oven.
- Set aside to cool and enjoy! The original recipe for the brownies can be found here.